HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Weaponized Math: How much does Charge Weight Precision Matter?
Old 03-22-2023, 03:41 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I’m hoping there are some other nerds like myself out there which will find these and enjoy the discussion. This kind of stuff comes up pretty often with new PRS shooters, I think mostly because they see most of us experienced guys using $1500 powder dispensers which read +/-0.015grn, down to the kernel, and then get deflated that they need to spend that much and load to that magnitude of precision… I talk to new would-be-PRS shooters every month which are putting it off because they don’t feel like they have good enough reloading gear or rifles to get into it, and are intimidated by the price tags on our stuff, or the degree of precision we achieve.

But really, as that post shows, we don’t gain anything by loading to +/-0.015grn instead of +/-0.1grn - so the only reason most of us experienced competitors are using these expensive dispensers is the SPEED. I can throw and trickle charges 2-3x faster on my AutoTrickler than I can with my Chargemaster or Lyman Gen6, with assurance of tighter precision, which is typically well worth the cost for me. I’m loading 500 rounds between tonight and Saturday, breaking in a new barrel and loading for a regional match this wknd, as well as loading for a Pro Series match next weekend, and dispensing perfect charges every 10-12sec takes about an hour and a half, rather than dispensing on my Chargemaster and having about 1 out of every 10 be over charged and need rethrown, taking 30-35sec per charge, finishing the same roundcount in almost FIVE and a half hours instead.

But new reloaders and competitors don’t see the speed, and assume we spend that cost to make our ammo better, instead of just faster.