HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Slug guns
Thread: Slug guns
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2023, 09:05 AM
Bocajnala
Super Moderator

Default Slug guns

Hunting Ohio was always priority #2 to us. We had good hunting in PA, a camp, family, and rifles were allowed. Plus the deer population was(and still is) much higher than in my area of Ohio.

Ohio used to be a slug only state. So growing up that mostly meant old single shots, Remington 870s and Mossberg 500s. All smooth bore with bead sights.

Occasionally you'd see a smoothbore with rifle sights or even a saddle style scope mount.

Ithaca Deerslayers were my dream gun.

These guns would shoot paper plate type groups at 50 yards and we mostly called it good enough.

The first rifled barrel gun I saw was a Mossberg 695. And it was a shooter. That was eventually gifted to me as a graduation present. Killed several deer with it in the following years.

Then Ohio went to straight walled rifles being allowed and slug guns are becoming rare to see in the woods.

I picked up a big box of assorted slugs recently and began looking for a smoothbore rifle sight barrel for my Mossberg 500. Finally found one yesterday. Excited to start shooting this thing again and hopefully get a chance to put it to use in the next few years.

-Jake