HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 5.56/223 for elk/moose(don't flame me yet!)
Old 11-23-2022, 05:06 AM
[email protected]
Spike

Default Not true

Originally Posted by metau
To Everyone-- To answer ???'s about the engine block issue, I can say from personal experience that a 5.56 NATO FMJ round WILL go through a engine block, if it is lucky in its path. Pistons, cranks and cams either stop it cold or absorb enough energy to where it tumbles and stops(usually). I know it sounds insane, but I have seen it with my own eyes too many times.

To FBplaya-- I see no reason it would not go through both shoulders if it hit squarely. I cannot say as to weather or not it would break the shoulders, but I doubt it. However, IF it did break BOTH shoulders, then yes it obviousley could not run, though try as it may. IF you hit it just PERFECT, and the round did not fragment, nor ricochet and play pinball inside(which they love to do), and every conceivable thing was perfect, could it happen: it is definitly possible. I know that is not a yes or no answer, but with something like that there are just way too many variables to say definitly yes or definitly no.

Jerry
the whole “bounce around like a pinball” claim has been used for years but it’s just not true and there are many tests that have proven it that fact.
sustenance hunters in Alaska use the .223/5.56 to hunt EVERYTHING from moose to grizzly and it had no problem taking down any of them the only people that think it couldn’t are usually inexperienced greenhorns that actually believe everything told to them by other greenhorns that play like they’re “experts” but to anyone with even little real world experience in hunting can pick these people out very easily because if they were to be believed you need the biggest most ridiculous size cartridge to kill a field mouse and again it’s just not true.
Don’t believe what you read, not even this comment, go get some real experience and see for yourself.
i have absolutely no doubt that if I had to I could kill a moose or anything else with a 10/22 as long as you know what you’re doing, have a properly constructed bullet, and the skill needed to put that bullet where you want it then caliber doesn’t play as big of a role as people would like to believe.
Most people believe the bigger caliber will make up for their poor marksmanship but that’s not true either

Last edited by [email protected]; 11-23-2022 at 05:09 AM.