HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ohio youth draw hunt
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2022, 01:06 PM
Bocajnala
Super Moderator

Rough day, but it ended well! Got up at 4:30 to leave and the vehicle wouldn't start. Quickly loaded things into my other truck and got over to the hunt about 20 minutes later than I was hoping.

Hiked in nearly a mile to a spot I had located on the map, that looked good and I figured nobody else would be there. Of course there was somebody there. So I went to my number two spot which was another 500 yd further out.

Around 8:30 I pointed out a doe that was sneaking along the wood line between the swamp that we were sitting on in the open woods. Surprisingly he whispered I'm going to wait for a buck. So we watch that doe pass when it got up wind of us it flagged its tail and took off running into the swamp.

Around 10:00 we were both tired of sitting so we decided to get up and try still hunting. This is hard to do with a youth hunter who's not used to shooting deer off hand or moving but we've been practicing in the squirrel woods and figured that I would give it a try.

Around noon I found a nice elevated stump that he could sit on that got him up with a good view over the woods in front of us. We ate our lunch and watch for deer. I was sitting at the base of the stump and about one o clock I noticed that he was nodding off so I stood up beside him.

At 1:11 I saw two bucks coming through the woods towards us. I told him to let them keep coming because they were coming right at us. They closed the distance and he raised his rifle but they were still moving pretty quickly. I whispered that I would try to stop one of the bucks and to be ready. At about 25 yards I made a doe bleat sound and the lead buck stopped. Jayden made a great shot and the deer went about 40 yards and dropped.

Second nice buck in a row. Thanks to the Ohio youth special hunts.

It was a long drag out.

-Jake