HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - If There Were a 2022 Gun Deer Contest Who Would Enter?
Old 10-05-2022, 09:20 PM
SportsmanNH
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I was on several winning HNI deer teams in years past.

Where's my trophy money and fame?!
Was there supposed to be a prize for some online forum contest ? No , just a fun friendly contest with maybe some bragging rights amongst members maybe .

But I saw it once cheating even in a local deer pool in Maine . Biggest buck by weight would win $500 plus a free deer mount . They could care less about rack size up there . Its always " Wow ,how much does he weigh ?.And nice rack too " I forget how much the leading buck weighed but it was somewhere in the 220's . Well supposedly someone shot one that was real close and weighed it at either at his house or a friends house 1st before bringing it to the gun shop to tag it on their certified scale. When they weighed it at home , they found it was 2 lbs short of the leading buck . They stuck 4 20 oz sinkers up the esophagus and shoved them up its neck and stapled the esophagus shut so they wouldn't fall out . Brought it to the official tagging station scale. It came in 5 lbs heavier than the leading buck. They were now in 1st place . Their scale at home had to be off by 2 lbs . Evidently they brought the buck to the local deer processer to get cut up who is good friends with the gun shop putting on the contest. They took the weights out of the bucks throat , but they forgot one and the butcher found it. There was hell to pay . The word of this spread like wildfire ! He was forced to pay the money back and the taxidermist refused to do the mount even if he paid for it . Mocked at every local store he walked into . Sold his house and moved a couple years after the incident . Crime Doesn't Pay ! The gun shop stopped doing the deer pool after that. Its been years since that happened .The gun shop owner retired 2 years ago and now has a new owner .