HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What age is the right age to start hunting?
Old 06-20-2022, 06:42 AM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jonmyrlebailey
In 1957, Disney produced a film called '"Old Yeller". A 12-year-old boy went deer hunting on his mule during the Old West era. His smaller brother stayed home with mom and the dog. His father was out on a trail drive. Nobody held the hand of Travis Coates out in the field. If a boy is big enough to cut grass with a power mower, he is probably also big enough to go hunting with a gun. I was 11 when I first started to use the family lawn mower.
the above has to be the most Ludacris statement I have ever read on the subject. There s no one size fits al on this subject. The law sets an a arbitrary age to start hunting but that doesn't mean all kids are ready to start hunting at the arbitrary age not every state uses age 12. Just because a kid reaches the arbitrary age does not mean they are mentally prepared to start hunting. We can only hope that the parental decision to allow a kid to begin hunting is for the child's best interests and not to boost the father's ego. I have seen 12 year olds that were not capable to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun safely.