HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Uncle quit hunting
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2003, 08:27 PM
davidmil
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Uncle quit hunting

He'll come around. I spent 2 years in Vietnam. Survived Tet 68 in I Corps. When I came back from Vietnam the second time in Sept 70, 2 purple hearts later, having survived malaria, being blown up and all that... I didn't want to do ANYTHING that might cause a hangnail. I went hunting for about 1 hour the last day of the season. I met my wife and we went to dinner every night. She pestered me for about a year, even after we were married. Said I drove like an old lady... both hands on the steering wheel(I guess she meant none on her[8D], 10 miles an hour under the speed limit, stopped at all lights, orange or red, etc etc etc. Two years later I was making like Dale Ernhardt with the pedal to the metal. She to this days says she should have kept her mouth shut. She says I'm a maniac. She also says I hunt to dang much. She said she didn't even know I hunted when we dated.(Which I guess is right because I didn't that fall) Heck, I'll shoot a gun once in a while.... no problem. But I tell you, when one goes off in the woods I'm looking for cover and some way to put a tree between it an me. He'll come around. Takes time. And if he doesn't.... live with it.

Now I can joke about it. As I say about my time in Vietnam. It was great hunting, no closed season, no bag limits and unlimited free ammo. He's just finished a tough hunting season. He needs a break. Shot up humans are not pretty. It's not like a deer on the ground or something like that. He's really got a lot going on inside. Let him do what he wants. He'll be better.