HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mobile tree platform vs fixed tree stand
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2021, 02:51 PM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

I have never hunted from a portable stand, I always hunted next to a tree that was in an area with lots of deer trails on public land. Then in the 80's I got permission to hunt my wife's family's property. It is a little over 100 acres and is mostly wooded with some grass hay fields and a huge pine plantation in the center. I looked around and found a spot thaat was a pinch point and befrore I could build a permanent stand one of the owners did it for me. I was successful year after year until the owner of the property my stand on sold her land and the new land owner said no. So I found another spot on the property that was even better and build a permanent stand big enough for my grandson and I. That stand was attached to 4 trees and every spring I would have to refasten the stand to the trees because of tree movement. It got to the point where I would have had to put 9 inch screws into the trees to secure the stand. I then moved about 50 yards away and erected a 360 tower stand and have never looked back.

I have been taking 1 or 2 deer a year form this stand since I built it. It really doesn't matter how mobile you are if you are where the deer want to be. That takes scouting every year.