HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Feeding issues
Thread: Feeding issues
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2021, 07:02 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I like to think that the type of folks who bought a 375win Big Bores are the same type of folks to have their poop in a group and be able to understand and power through reloading quibbles and quandaries like that.

But then again, I worked on a never fired Big Bore last year (two years now? Idk) which had passed through two collectors and had never - a day in its life - EVER - been able to feed and function properly. The third owner tried to cycle factory ammo through it, and it simply wouldn’t feed smoothly, and would not eject rounds. Upon inspection, the extractor was wedged so tightly into the bolt that it could not move. I had to polish out the channel and the extractor to remove the interference fit, fit the “flat” of the extractor to allow sufficient movement, as well as reprofile the bevel and face to actually land cases on the bevel instead of dead length on the face. Then reblue (which I absolutely, positively &@$#% hate doing) the extractor to the original deep factory black… fed and functioned like a singer sewing machine after that… on dummy rounds… just to go back into the safe… although I do think this owner might be the one to break the ice and finally fire it someday before he’s too old and can’t.