HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bears--Got Enough Pistol??
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2021, 10:50 PM
elkman30
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb
well if information from experts in the bear hunting world and bear biology world, do not mean anything to you, SORRY, but ti might to others!
as I already know you don;t like me, and that's OK<no one says you have too!

and I stated the BULLET used matters not just caliber of it!
and its not as easy as saying what caliber, and NOT knowing what ammo was used in the attacks, is a BIG detail that is missing and should be valued as important info if its being sued to recommend a caliber handgun for bear attacks!

as again the 22 rim fire has been PROVEN to kill bears even when in attacks
here is something to read since you asked for links
but I wouldn't suggest to someone to carry a 22 in big bear country for protection, yes better than nothing maybe, but?? even as proven to work in below!

Bear Attacks & 20 Instances of .22 Rimfire Used for Survival

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/10/bea...#axzz7EJT9VmOY
I think you're misreading things now. I don't like you or dislike you. I do read what you post. Some of it is good and some of it wanders like stream of consciousness style writing. A lot of people write that way but it's hard to decide what their final point or conclusion is about anything. And most of the time, you talk about what others have told you instead of your own experiences. If you write about your experiences, I can ask you follow-up questions. If you write about what "others" have told you, well, I have no idea of their knowledge base or experience level and can't very well ask them follow-up questions to determine what exactly they think or not.

I'll read what a biologist has to say about bears because it might give me pointers about how to find them better. I don't read what biologists say about shooting and killing bears because most of them don't hunt or even kill problem bears (a warden usually does that). I'll read what guides and hunters personally say about their experiences in hunting bears and killing them but am careful about people just saying what guides and other hunters told them. If somebody is repeating a hunt or experience as is, I can see the value. If a person is summarizing what guides and hunters think, I don't see as much value.

The info on killing bears with a .22 was interesting, okay it was fascinating, but, I wouldn't risk that personally. From all of the information I've read about killing bears with a pistol, I'd still want at least a 10mm and preferably a 41 or 44 mag. Since the main thrust of the OP article was about using a pistol in bear country for protection (not hunting bears), a pistol in one of those calibers makes sense. They can be worn in a hip or chest holster so there's no excuse not to have your pistol with you whether you're field dressing an animal or fly fishing in a creek somewhere. Those calibers can be shot very accurately within 25+ yards and are capable of punching through a bear skull with heavier loads if the bear is charging you. And if you're carrying a Glock 20 in 10mm, well, you might be surprised at how many rounds you can fire at closer ranges, even if you're shooting the heavier 200-220 grain heavy rounds.