HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - HOW TO: FINISH A DEER?
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2021, 07:29 AM
Bigguy70
Spike

Default Relate to feeling

I just had that happen to me on the deer I just shot this year with my crossbow. I missed the lungs and shot him in the neck. I hate not getting a clean kill and it's getting harder the older I get. I do say a prayer for the animal giving up his life so I can eat it's flesh, but when a deer is wounded it's a responsablity of the hunter to make sure the animal is dispatched as humanely as possible. Sometimes I just wish I could take a picture with the animal and then let it go free like I do with fish. But then I would be able to enjoy it's delicious meat.

QUOTE=NEW61375;1555680]I never really encounter this problem during bow or rifle season but I almost always do during shotgun season. Finishing a downed deer. One that has been crippled or paralyzed or otherwise incapacitated. Now I have seen and used several methods but I have always been curious how others handle it. It gives me a weird feeling when I have to do this thatI can't really describe. I do know this, the first time you do it can be tough, ecspeciallyif you can't for whatever reason ground-check it(shoot it on the ground), which I don't really prefer anyway. I guess I'm notinterested in the methods as much as "Does anyone else relate to that feeling?" I'm sure someone does.A lot of times youare seperated/desensitized from the actual death of the animal by distance(rifle), it runs off-you trail it and find it dead already(bow), or other similar circumstances.But when it is just you and that animal in the woods and you have to end its life up close and personal, it's just different.[/QUOTE]