HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - She got herself a good one. (more pictures added)
Old 11-23-2021, 08:27 AM
rockport
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
It depends on the part of the state. Average 1 1/2 year old buck will generally field dressed weigh 100 to 120. 2 1/2 will go 140 to 180 and the 3 1/2 and older will go 180 to well over 250. The northeast kingdom portion of the state which runs along the Quebec and New Hampshire border is all vast but open to hunting paper company land and lightly hunted has the biggest and oldest deer. It is all woods and logging operations with very few ag type land or fields. Throughout most of the state there aren't that any mature deer like out in the mid west. The yearling and 2 1/2 year old deer make up the majority of the harvest with the exception of that Northeast Kingdom area. We have a lot of deer throughout the state but I don't think the F&W department has a very good track record on deer management. It appears at least to me that their major focus is on surviving financially rather than setting a good deer plan into action like some of the other larger states. I am very active both hunting and fishing in all seasons and it has been a few years since I was even license checked by a warden.
I'll add this we get decent weights on deer but the racks aren't usually that great due to poorer mineral content in the soil. Probably the biggest limitation however is the harvest of young deer.
Yeah those weights are not far off the weights here. This deer is particularly big in the body....maybe bigger than all but a couple I have ever killed. My buddy killed one the next day with a similar rack(little smaller) but no where near the body size or age. We do pursue older deer not just deer with large antlers.

It does seem like people are learning more and more how to grow large antlers in different parts of the country.