HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How much wind do you consider too much?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2021, 04:30 PM
Bocajnala
Super Moderator

Generally in the East if the wind is blowing hard the deer aren't moving much. The wind seems to lock them down.

I generally hunt the days I have available, regardless of weather since I'm on limited time. So I adjust what I'm doing to match the weather.

One benefit of high wind is you can use it to your advantage. The wind will blow your scent away, and it makes moving allot easier. The deer won't notice the small sounds and movements if the whole woods is blowing around. I've used wind many times to successfully still hunt close to known bedding areas.

When the wind is high I like to hit the pines, and the valleys that are a little more protected from the wind.

​​​​​​If you're a tree stand Hunter, have a plan for Windy days. Set up somewhere that protects the deer a little bit. If the wind is lasting for a while the deer will HAVE to get up and move eventually. Be there when they do.

A word of caution. Being in the woods when it's windy can be dangerous. Be careful and smart.

-Jake