HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Strange season on a new property
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2021, 05:23 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

I have known and seen things like this, still don;t know why however
but I have a property that has a lot of apple tree's on it, and a old snow 3 ft tall fence that surrounds about an acre of the apple tree's, its falling down in sections, so its far from enclosed in like, many sections 25-to say 40 yards with no fence all over and many other sections its been broken down to just inches tall, at random all over the section!
and both tree's and fence have been there for 40+ yrs if not longer
about 5 yrs ago, Bucks just STOPPED coming into the apple tree's and fenced in section
I can place trail camera's on other side of fence, literally ON the fence itself and or inside the area and see bucks standing inches from entering
I DO get small yearling bucks all the time, and once in a great while a 2.5 yr old at NIGHT, and maybe 5 times a yr in the rut, will get a buck on the tail of a hot doe

but rest of yr, NOTHING< and there is many food plot (clover and other things growing spring and summer that doe hammer
Nothing has changed on the site or near it
bucks just one day STOPPED entering it, for decades I used to see mature bucks in it yr round
I do have a few very OLD doe that seem to about live in or near it, and I almost think they are keeping the bucks out!
as I can find NO Other reason!

SO< IMO< some area's are just sort of turned off by older bucks, for reasons unknown to me, even when food is prime and safety is not a issue, my place is NEVER hunted there or really near it, so, its not from hunting pressure or human actions as its left alone minus checking trail cam's as I have for past 20 yrs or so on it!

MY suggestion is MOVE, try a different location if you can, if your after a larger buck than your seeing, or doe,