HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My first elk hunt!
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2021, 02:42 PM
Champlain Islander
Dominant Buck

The diamox is a cheap drug that has a few funny side affects that Ill warn you about. It conditions your body to function as normal with a low O2 content. At 9000 to 11000 feet the air doesn't have as much oxygen. The side affects many experience is a tingling on fingers and lips. In addition a side affect that really was most troubling to me is that it makes carbonated beverages taste like a mouth full of pennies. While you are taking it beer tastes really bad and forget a soft drink. Within a couple days of ending the pills everything does come back to normal though. When we did the truck trip out from Vermont I started to take it and then we arrived at Rob's cabin on the 3rd day. I quit taking the pills on day 2 of being at the cabin. The first year or two went well when I wasn't on diamox but on what must have been my 3rd trip I had a bad case of altitude sickness. After that our whole crew took it. Believe me you won't even think about hunting if you get sick. We used to go out in the summer to work on Rob's cabin and my wife came down with it so we she started in on the diamox after that. Rob's cabin was over 9k feet so it was up there in the clouds.
Edit: another good item to have is a Wyoming saw to cut bone when you are dealing with your kill. Cutting the legs off a whole quarter helps to lighten the load or you can totally de-bone in the field for an even lighter pack out.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 09-24-2021 at 04:21 AM.