HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shot my first grouse!
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2021, 07:12 PM
jnicholes
Fork Horn

Default Shot my first grouse!

So, I shot my first grouse today! I am pretty happy. Here is the story:

I was out scouting for a spot to hunt, and I discovered a spot I thought I would look at. Its public land, signs say you can hunt in it.

While walking through thick brush, I jumped a bunch of birds. They were grouse, no doubt in my mind, but I couldnt tell the species, as I couldnt get close enough without them flying off.

I went home and looked at the season details by Idaho Fish and Game. They went into season on August 30th. I got dressed in my hunting outfit, grabbed my gun and ammo, and went back there.

One hour later, I shot my first grouse. Then, I was faced with a problem. I could not tell what species of grouse it was. I compared it to the pictures on the bird ID that IDFG has, and I couldnt figure it out. I am pretty sure it is a ruffed grouse, a friend in wildlife management said the same thing, a female ruffed grouse, but she was not sure herself.

Now, granted, I need to be sure of my target in the future, so I don't shoot the wrong thing. Lesson learned.

What type of grouse is this? Can anyone tell? I already ruled out sharp tailed grouse, the tail doesnt match.

Jared
Attached Images