HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Mexico Unit 30 Pronghorn Youth Hunter Advice
Old 07-20-2021, 05:37 PM
Bocajnala
Super Moderator

I know that guy's do it.... But I can't imagine Spot and stalk with archery equipment. Especially with a 40 or 50 yard limit. That would be very difficult. But again ... People do it. And it may just work.

For archery I'd be looking for a way to set up on either water or if there's a known food source that they are hitting regularly. Water would be your best bet but if it's been wet out there ... Maybe not.

I would call and speak to game wardens in the area, county tourism numbers, the local police or county sheriff, if you're a member of a church or another organization like girl scouts or something contact a local leader....
Anything that would open the door for you to say...." Hey you don't know me, but I'm a member of XYZ and my daughter was drawn for a hunt....."

I would also get onx maps and begin looking for good places. Use the property owner information and look up phone numbers and start making calls. I *think* that landowners will be allot more helpful knowing it's a young lady coming out to hunt.

Lastly, make sure you post back here after she's successful and let us know the story!

-Jake