HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How to set up in relation to wind?
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2021, 11:30 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

I also agree don't over think it, and to be honest a LOT of how much human scent bothers/effects a deer's movement is really based on a lot more variables than the wind it gets the scent from

as a deer that lives in close proximity to humans, will NOT be bothered by human scent as a deer that lives far into a large forested area where human contact is rare if at all

deer will react to thinks in way different ways, based on how and where they live and feed and sleep and so on!

the simple answer to your question is, to HUNT so the wind NEVER carries your scent to where you think deer are, or will be coming from

the use of scents
is, to place them where the wind will carry there scent to where you think deer are or will come from!

the issue I have with using scents is, well most times there a waste of $$$, from tons of trying over decades, I will say I personally think they spook more deer than they lure in
as scents can work both ways

deer live in there CORE area there whole lives and they will get to know what deer live there and there scents of local deer, when you add in new smells/scents to things, from deer scents to cover scents, your IMO< giving deer an alert something NEW is in the area, which then MIGHT place them on higher alert, trying to find what is making that scent, and or change there normal pattern due to the new scent in there home area!
If I had the options to have deer relaxed in there normal ways, over one looking for something
I will pick the relaxed deer to hunt,
they already have excellent skills at picking out hunters why give them more reasons to look harder!

can do scents work at times YES they can,
but not often enough to get me to spend my $$ anymore on them!
just work to be as scent free as possible and stay still, try and make your set ups easy to get into and out of without teaching local deer you are or been there
way more important than using scents IMO!