HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - the minimalist approach
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2021, 05:04 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones
Some items may be required to legally hunt: license, tags, permits, hunter orange. Of course we all need a vehicle for transportation and a gun and ammo during gun season. Gear needs may depend on individuals,terrain and weather conditions. If you are as strong as Rambo you might be able to get by without a deer cart or a wheelbarrow.

What might some people here eliminate from my checklist above if they were to hunt deer in a relatively flat state like Oklahoma? Do YOU really need a GPS?

I did a fun Google search and found this link:
https://www.advancedhunter.com/deer-hunting-checklist/

Stuff in the gear list I don't know what it is or I don't think it's necessary, I bolded in red.

Field Packing Checklist

Now we come to the fun part, organizing your hunting pack for the big day.

You might be tempted to throw every gadget you own into the pack, but like one of my favorite bloggers likes to say “Don’t be Like Batman”. Don’t be that guy strutting through the woods with a piece of gear attached to every loop, and stuffed in each pouch.

Invest in quality gear that you can rely on, and pack only the essential gear. When in doubt, ask yourself if it will actually help you kill something, or help preserve the game when you do take an animal.

Hunting Backpack or Day Pack Bow Release GPS/Map/Compass Hunting Licenses/Tags (Check Again!) Ammo/Arrows/Broadheads Calls/Scents First Aid Kit Firearm/Bow Drag Rope Means of FireHeadlamp/Flashlight Hunting Knife/Multi-Tool Cell Phone Glow Sticks Folding Saw Tree Stand/<Safety HarnessHunting BinocularsBug Spray Wear Your Blaze Orange Binocular Harness Hand Warmers Paracord (what is this?) Rangefinder Water & Snacks Game Bags/Latex Gloves Rain Gear Extra Layers (depends on how cold the weather is)

as for all your items in RED< its up to the user to decide if there needed or not, pendding type of hunt, location and hunters skill set
like DO YOU NEED A GPS<
can you navigate the woods and forset and fields without one, , I can,
but can YOU
IF NOT< then MAYBE you need one, that or carry a compass , that is IF you know how to use that as well

as if you don't know how to navigate a GPS can be helpful, BUT it requires batteries, so, it can fail
this is where experience comes into play and you get it by doing things, starting out small and venturing farther and so on!

First aid kits< always good to carry, will you NEED IT< I hope not, but accidents are called that for a reasons! and they can happen at any time
a few basic items can be carried easy, rest can be left at a vehicle, and in modern times, a cell phone can get help in MOST Places and getting better all the time, super remote places a satellite phone is a suggested item maybe? not on your list!
all the rest of your RED item,s, again are up to the hunter, based on what they FEEL they need and will use on THERE hunt, all can be needed or useful, but not need by others

just so you know, I gather about 90 % of Deer hunters in most states do NOT use deer carts to remove deer from the woods and most don't look like Rambo or as strong as he in the movies is!
I also doubt many wear any gloved when field dressing there game
and in MOST places they do NOT haul out there deer with the guts still in them, its called FIELD DRESSING< due to the FACT, they GUT them where they die or near it IN THE FIELD/forest swamp or where ever there shot at and NOT hauled out intact
YES one can haul out intact, bur most don't
as gutting a deer makes it lighter
and those that quarter a deer, , again do so in the field and haul out the parts they legally have too and want too!

as for being a " minimalist "
Many hunters that have some seasons under there belts , will end up at this point, taking ONLY what they feel they need and NOT as much extra's as new folks will
due to experience and knowing what they need, I know I carry a fraction of what I used to when I first started out,
BUT< like all things, conditions you MAY run into and risks taken, based on location of hunt, tend to matter in what one feels they NEED or should carry
there is NO set rule on what is needed, minus the weapon, and legal side of things!

NOW AlongCameJone
IF you don't mind, can you maybe answer this question, as it MAY help members here understand your situation better and your odd sort of posts you been having here

My question for you is this

Are you from another country, other than the USA??

and I mean NO offence , but I am friends with many folks that were born or lived in other countries than the USa, and they just have a different way of speaking/talking, asking questions.
so wondering if this is the reason your posts seem odd to some of us, and again, NO offence or bash meant here just trying to figure out your points of view that are leding to to these odd posts!,a sI gather many others here are as well!

Last edited by mrbb; 06-08-2021 at 05:12 AM.