HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Another New Toy
Thread: Another New Toy
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2021, 01:30 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
This is going to be a hunting revolver so I may just add on a 2-8x or even a straight 2x on it. Some can't get use to shooting a handgun with a scope as they have trouble acquiring the target. I've hunted with Contenders before and have a 243 Encore and don't have an issue with that.
I just don't have a warm fuzzy hunting with a red dot. I often think what if the battery conks out at the wrong time? I have one on my turkey shotgun and another in the cabinet. We'll see after I shoot it with ooen sights.
I also don’t care much for red dots on... anything but shotguns... But I can get behind a red dot on a revolver, where the demand for precision is less than that of a rifle, but greater than which is easily promoted by iron sights (2-4moa dots vs. 16moa wide blades).

I don’t let myself get bothered by battery life issues. I replace my batteries regularly, and keep spares in my field kit. I’ve worn a battery powered watch for 30yrs, carried a battery powered phone for over 20yrs, used battery powered sights and battery powered LRF’s for over 25 years... folks get too worked up about batteries... replace a AAA, AA, or CR2032 once per year before season for a dollar or two, and it’s pretty simple.

But a scope is much, much more versatile.