HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The man in this following video seems well equipped for dove opener.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:38 AM
AlongCameJones
Fork Horn

There are a few public areas in Oklahoma to hunt dove and a few paid outfitters. I would try the public areas first. I don't personally know any rural landowners or hunters here. I would have to take the on-my-own approach. One of the dove outfitters requires a two-hunter minimum but I have no partner. I read at this source :

https://www.oklahoman.com/article/32...ng-in-oklahoma

that Ok dove hunting can be iffy because of the crappy climate here. August rains sometimes rain on local dove hunters' parades, so to speak. I don't care to spend money and time to travel to Argentina. I want to learn to hunt on my own American soil nearest to my hometown as possible. Texas is next door to Oklahoma and is a hunting haven for many. I consistently have read that pre-season scouting is the key to success. Oklahoma weather is fickle so Sooner State hunting can be a crap-shoot from one season to the next. I do know that mourning doves are now cooing like crazy all over my Lawton neighborhood now.

I live in SW Ok so these I will check into:

In Southwest Oklahoma (my neck of Sooner woods) the following are open to the public:

1, Hackberry Flat — Oklahoma's premier dove shoot. On good years, it's crammed with doves and dove hunters (many people, EEEK!).

2, Mountain Park — Near Snyder, contains native sunflower fields and managed agricultural fields.(sounds promising)

3, Sandy Sanders — Watering holes and crop fields normally provide good dove hunting, but habitat problems this year has opening day looking iffy (HUMMMM.....).

4, Waurika — Runs hot and cold. Agricultural fields on west side provide the best hunting.(GOOD when that area is running hot)

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-04-2021 at 09:49 AM.