HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Who here dresses like this while hunting?
Old 06-01-2021, 03:37 PM
AlongCameJones
Fork Horn

Wink

Originally Posted by mrbb
well, if your referring to me,
I never meant any thing negative by the size of his buck he shot
I was just sating that back in the 90's few folks PAID a guide for a hunt for deer in the USA, it was NOT common practice in MOST all US states
and if one was paying for a guide, Honestly, I would have expected a better quality of game than what most average hunters found on public lands
as isn;t that the point of PAYING for a service, to get more than you can for free?

and I also stand by the fact that hiring a guide is NOT the way most folks learn how to hunt, even in NON hunting house holds and families!
a week or a few days with a guide don;t teach a LOT of skills that make a GOOD hunter a GOOD hunter!
they might help you learn a few things IF there willing to teach you, as a guides job ISN"T to teach anyone how to hunt, there JOB is you get you on the game animal your paying them to do so!

I am personal friends with a LOT of professional guides and KNOW this for a fact!
some are more willing to help a guy learn and some are NOT!
Being that California is opulent, it wasn't cheap even back in the 1990's, I thought what I paid Mr. Rourke was fair market then just to have a fairly easy opportunity to go deer hunting for once in my life and say I did. That CA Colombian blacktail (little muley cousin) deer ran me a total of $800 in '96. If I remember correctly, about 45 pounds of edible meat was yielded. $17.77 a pound for California venison that was gamey as the devil. I have learned later on it would have tasted much better ground up with 10% beef tallow and cooked in things like spaghetti, tacos, stroganoff, burritos, enchiladas or pizza. Cooking the venison chops on the BBQ was tough as shoe leather and the meat had that gamey flavor like it had browsed on trees. The meat had an acorn-like aroma. My buck was shot in a forest.

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-01-2021 at 04:40 PM.