HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lever Action Advantage?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2021, 06:08 PM
Mr.boom
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb
if your gun is having issues when firing, I would highly recommend STOP using it and have a good smith loom it over,a s sounds like there is a major issue with it that could get you hurt!

as a shotgun shouldn't really wear out until there are tens of thousands of round s thru it, or unless maybe some one has been loading some super hot rounds and beating it up by never oiling/or cleaning the gun properly!
parts can fail and do on occasions, and this is why again, gun maybe needs to be inspected by a persons with the skills to know so! and they can fix for you

Also, if you live where straight wall calibers are required by LAW< then YES then ammo for them will be found more common like in your stores that sell ammo

But you already pointed out, folks wait till last minute to buy ammo before hunting season opens, having owned a gun shop, I seen this first hand
, so the real simple fix to this in NORMAL times, is just BUY your am,mo long before the season and even stock up on brands loads you like, it then prevents the worries of chasing ammo before opening day!

and like Is aid, shotguns come in many shapes and builds and many are VERY accurate with modern slugs, the main key is having a dedicated shotgun for slugs and NOT just using a plain jane shotgun made mostly for shotshells and bird shot!

adding a scope to most ANY shotgun will give you a LOT more accuracy out of them too and most popular models have scope mounts available for them!
providing your area allows use of a scope that is!

if not, again, having a shotgun with REAL sights and not just a bead or two, will get you much more accuracy out of them.

I am in NO way saying a lever action isn;'t a great gun, as they can be, just saying, under most conditions, a gun is only as good as it is made and how it works for the app;location its being used for!

and by FAR a 12 ga is a more common found caliber in 99.9% of the USA , there are just more guns out there in 12 Ga period by a LOT! due to how many types and uses they have!
which is why its normally easier to find ammo for one!
Tens of thousands of rounds oh yeah. It was my dad’s ( he doesn’t hunt anymore) he bought it when he was a teenager and used it for hunting almost every day. He used it for any and every thing he could in Iowa. And I’m going to be honest I don’t want a shotgun. I’m 5’10 and 135 pounds. And while I can handle the mighty power of the 3 inch 12 gauge slug I think that a rifle will just be better. And not to mention that we already have a few boxes of .45 colt. And even if I have the shotgun fixed it’s heavy has no sling mounts and even though the slug barrel is pretty accurate it has no scope mounts, so I’m stuck with the open sights that are all black and hard to focus with.