HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Lehigh Bullet(s) Choice
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 05:38 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Default New Lehigh Bullet(s) Choice

A lot of you already know that I am really fond of the Lehigh CF bullets. So to add to that I offer this information.

Last week I was doing some muzzle loading bullet investigation, looking at what might be available. I have always been fond of the Lehigh .458x300 gr. Lehigh then Lehigh/Bloodline seen below.

This bullet has long been a favorite of mine for elk hunting. Several people have told me that I really do not need that heavy of a bullet to harvest elk. Which totally may be true, but in my mind I am far more interested in the energy that a bullet might carry to the target within my 200 yard range limitation. The Lehigh 300 with the achieved velocity, energy, - combined with the CF function (Controlled Fracturing). These factors all create outstanding Terminal Ballistics.

After viewing and searching the Lehigh site I found what I thought could be a really interesting bullet. Lehigh lists it as a bullet for a 450 SOCOM. It is a .458x300 CF. This bullet appears to have a more aerodynamic design and might have a greater BC than the computed BC. It is designed to work down to 1200 fps. I believe this bullet might even perform better the Lehigh/Bloodline. The down side is the bullet is designed for a 1-20 bore twist. I do believe it will shoot well from my 1-28 bores. I have shot other longer bullets from my 1-28 with great success using the upper limits of powder loads (110 to 120 gr. Vol of T7 and BH.

When discussing this bullet with personnel at Lehigh they suggested another bullet that I might look at. A bullet designed for the 45-70 Government - .458x300 CF with cut petals. The nose on this CF bullet will function at sub-sonic velocity down to 750 fps. Again the bullet is suggested for a 1-20 twist because of the length of the bullet.

I will include two calculated ballistic sheets computed from the velocities I achieved with T7 and BH powder loads. Again I should mention that I am not shooting a 1-20 twist rifle, just a standard Knight muzzleloader with a 1-28 twist.