HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Share your best whitetail pic/story
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2021, 05:23 AM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

I have a many more but not with pics. This is my shortest yet most heart pounding hunt. Again it was archery season in PA just a couple years ago. I woke up in the morning and it was pouring rain so I climbed back into bed. Later that day about 11:30 it stopped raining so I told my wife I was going out. I got dressed, grabbed my pack and bow and put them in the truck. I only hunt about 2 miles from my house most of the time in either direction. Once there I sprayed down and quietly walked to my stand. I got there at 12:15 or so and all situated. I waited about 15 minutes for everything to quiet down and grabbed my rattle bag and started rattling and grunting. I made about a 30 -45 second sequence. (BTW it was the last week in Oct). As I was hanging my rattling bag back up I dropped it. Oh well I thought, so much for rattling. As I turned my head I saw this guy coming down off the ridge. I grabbed my bow and got ready. He was coming in fast, ears back just looking for a fight. He came to withing 30 yards of me and stopped quartering to me. I couldn't shoot for 2 reasons, his angle and he was behind a laurel bush. He stood there for a full 15 mins looking for those 2 other buck that were fighting and he was sniffing the air. I thought for sure he could hear my heart beating It was thumping loud in my ears. Finally, he started walking down the trail that passed my stand at 18 yards. As he approached my shooting lane I slowly drew back and when he got to it I made a soft grunt with my mouth and he stopped. The Rage zipped right through behind the shoulder about 1/3 up the body. A perfect shot. I watched him sprint for 30 yard and do a summersalt, kick a bit and expire. I got my phone out to call my friend and noticed the time. It was 12:45!!
Attached Images