HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - One Fish, Two Fish, Everything Is Racist Fish: Joe Biden Cancels Dr. Seuss
Old 03-03-2021, 01:51 PM
hubby11
Typical Buck

Sigh. I just read an article on this and thought, "I bet some goofball is going to post this make-believe outrage on HNI." I should get a medal.

Facts (they are important):

1. The National Education Association (NEA), the group that initially decided to celebrate "Read Across America Day" on Theodore Geisel's birthday, made a conscious decision to de-emphasize Dr Suess in favor of lesser-known, often minority authors. They apparently did this because Dr. Suess' estate still sells millions of books a year and likely also because of his allegedly problematic depiction of Jews, blacks and Asians. They made this decision in 2017.

2. The executors of the literary estate of Dr. Seuss announced that they would allow six Seuss books ("And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street," "If I Ran the Zoo," "McElligot's Pool," "On Beyond Zebra!," "Scrambled Eggs Super!" and "The Cat's Quizzer") to fall out of print due to potentially offensive imagery contained within the volumes.

3. Dr. Seuss was well known as a bed-wetting liberal. His books, Marven K Mooney, Will You Please Go Now? (Watergate), The Lorax (environmentalism) and The Sneeches (civil rights/anti-McCarthyism) are all well known allegories for his liberal leanings. Had he lived to see #45, you can bet he would have made another best seller.

Whether the decisions of the NEA or the estate of Dr. Seuss are right in their decisions, I don't know. As an old white guy who loves all those books, any bias/inappropriate depictions flew over my head. But what the he!!, let's blame Biden. Because, you know, it must be his fault.

Last edited by hubby11; 03-03-2021 at 01:54 PM. Reason: clarity, spelling