HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How will I ever get this buck??
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2003, 08:13 AM
NY Bowhunter
Boone & Crockett

Default How will I ever get this buck??

uuuggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
Well there's 3 days left in gun season here in NY. After completely burning out my stands on the bulk of the property I hunt, I decided to go for a little stoll the other day. I came across some uncharted (unhunted) territory, except there are a couple of problems.
There is a big swail lot that's probably 300 x 300 yards. I walked the edges of it and found about a zillion beds and 4 or 5 runs that look like tractor trailors come through there on a routine basis. This place is mashed with sign. Now bare with me and try to get a visual of this lot. I'll try to describe the what is on the edges of the lot.
North end: at the end of the swail there is a giant cliff that drops off to a creek. Very steep and few scattered tracks leading to the swail.

South end: Road and posted land on the other side of the road

East end: narrow hedgrow runs up the length of it. Other side of the hedgerow is a huge winter plowed wide open field of nothing but frozen mud thanks to the lovely farmer that royally screwed my hunting up this year. But that's a whole different story. Anyway, next to no sets of tracks. They just don't want to be out there.

West end: hardwoods and thickets and food plots beyond that. I walked that edge and that's where they come. trails like you wouldn't believe. Problem is that land is posted with no possibility of hunting it.

I have been sitting on the north edge of the swail, and watching a nice buck bedding down almost everytime I've been there. I've also seen a group of 4 does laying down.

The problems are, they are 200 yards out and in the middle of the field. Also, they are already in there and bedded (as far as I know) before daylight and I sit there and watch them not move til after dark. I can't set up on their trails leading into this and catch them on their way in because of the posted land. frustrating as all heck, knowing they are right in front of my face but I'm kinda restricted. I don't dare try and sit in the swail any further cause I'll spook them to the next county. Any ideas?

deer drive.... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....