HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Recommended Pistol for Black Bear
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 07:43 PM
elkman30
Nontypical Buck

Cal, you forgot to mention your ammo limitations. In CA, you're restricted to lead free ammo. Yes, you can carry lead defensively but ya know those wardens are gonna look at the entire incident to figure out if you broke a law by shooting a bear with lead ammo. I can see what you mean by out scouting or changing cards in a game camera. You're not actively hunting per se but you are out there where you expect to get pictures of bears. I could see where you'd want a shorter barrel if you have to draw fast on a bear charging you or even just nearby and acting aggressive. That's not very likely with a black bear (no grizz's in CA) but that's not why you're packing. I could see a 44 or 41 in a 4-5" barrel but I still wouldn't want one of those short Alaskan pistols. i'm kinda on the fence about the 10. I haven't seen anything on the web about the lead free 10MM ammo. It weighs less than hardcast lead ammo but it's still a solid copper bullet and should penetrate a blackie pretty well. I'd rather have a 41 in that shorter Ruger barrel but I guess a Glock with solid copper bullets would be okay. 16 rounds oughta at least give the bear a headache, right??