HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What should I hunt? How should I start?
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2020, 06:28 AM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Hello and welcome. Good to see more people getting involved (or back into) hunting. Some good practice for the still hunting you describe in your area is to get you .22 LR and still hunt squirrels. Not big game but just as wary if not more so.
As far as the western hunts, antelope are fairly easy and you don't have to experience any back country to do so. Of course you can in some areas. Mule deer or sheep, if you can get a tag, are good choices for hunting the back country. If you're by yourself, elk would be a tough one. Not so much the hunt but getting it back out if your successful. Actually on any back country hunt I would not want to hunt without a partner for safety reasons.
Do all the research you can on the states you want to hunt and get maps of the public land available. This would include CRP land, State Game Lands, State and National Forest land, etc. You can also look into large ranches that give hunters access either at no charge or for a minimal user fee.
Good luck.