HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Venison in Cooler?
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2020, 12:00 AM
mikescooling
Spike

Yeah, Their are several ways to use a good cooler, I break the deer down hanging from a tree and the quarters go in the cooler bone and all. I was told the bone makes the meat less dense and easier to cool, so it's not one solid chunk of meat. The trim meat and back straps go in ziploc bags and all of that gets iced down. I do use the cooler to age the deer at home until I can get it wrapped and frozen, it buys me time to cut a little up after work for a few days so I don't have to do it all at once. I add salt to the ice water slurry and change the water often. The salt is good so it's about the same salt content that's in the meat, osmosis from chemistry in school.
Dry ice tricks, If you have a good cooler you can do some tricks with dry ice for longer term transport and actually freeze or keep frozen in the cooler. For example, you can butcher the deer and use dry ice to freeze it in the cooler so it's frozen when you get home. Or if you can find a butcher to flash freeze it then you can keep in frozen for a week in the cooler with the use of dry ice, but again the cooler has to be a good one that does not leak much.