HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rifled barreled shotgun vs Muzzleloader?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2020, 04:41 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

well as I said, I think YOU have your answer based on what youy like to shoot more

But hunting and shooting are one of them things, you cannot just say, price or getting ammo, is a stand point, as , most hunters shooters will stock up ion ammo there guns like LONG before hunting season, and many will have more than one load.brand that there gun lies in case things are not out there,
I have rifles that like factory ammo , and I bought a few cases of what they like, won;t ever need to buy more ammo for just hunting
when I want to target practice I use other guns I like to shoot more
the average hunter doesn;'t honestly if there being honest fire a ton of ammo thru there hunting rifle set up's
YES some do, but most don't)
years of having a gun shop and talking to thousands of hunters and shooters has proven this to me time and time again!

one thing someone above forgot to mention about muzzleloaders over shotguns is, that MANY muzzleloader/black powder is highly corrosive!
so, that can be a BIG deal if your hunting in area's that have long seasons and your the type that leaves gun loaded(minus a primer or ignition charge)
NEXT add in the FACT that ALL powders in muzzleloaders can suffer from moisture issue's
that result in ignition issues
carrying in a COLD gun into a warm room can make condensation, as can the other way, is it a HUGE deal, NO< most don't have any issue's,
BUT it is a real issue that can and does happen , same with water down a bore(snow, rain or??)
that too can and does happen, and can be avoided with some bore cover!(I use electrical tape on ALL my hunting guns when hunting)
NEXT< accuracy in a muzzleloader/inline or?? can be effected by HOW you load it, be in a hurry, don't seat things the same and accuracy can be FAR off to just a little!
ADD in this si ALSO, possible(I know a guy that has a big toe where his thumb used to be , had a ram rod come back out when powder charged he dumped down bore and was seating a bullet ignited and sent rod out of bore and took his thumb off, was shooting muzzleloaders for almost 50 yrs too< so wasn't new to things,)

so, it is possible top have a a dangerous situation reloading too fast after a shot or if there are amber in a bore still (so,yes things can go wrong with a shotgun too, but not as likely when loading a pre loaded round into a chamber as to pouring powder down a bore is a different deal)
and muzzleloaders require you to carry more items with you a field IMO< forget somethings , more things involved, more/higher the odds of something going wrong from a failure to forgetting somethings at home,. or the truck or?? laws of odds come into play here LOL

and I am NOT bashing muzzleloaders, , have owned and shot many and killed my share of game with them problem free!
SO, Please don't think I am, bashing on them here nor am I trying to tell you what to use! or one is better than another! just pointing out some info on things!

but there are pro's and con's to both, its not as simple as saying one is better than the other
which again is why I stated, , the real question might be what do YOU Like shooting better!
and I think you know what and why it is what it is!