HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2 3/4 inch vs 3 inch buck for deer
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2020, 11:36 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

when I used to hunt a lot of slug /shotgun only places, at first I started with a 11/87, and a cylinder choke, I then bought a rifled choke tube and it helped, but wasn't happy, so I went to a rifled barrel, this way I could just swap barrels if I wanted to use for small game(bird shot) things held zero pretty well,too, but always doubled check
then I got more serious about slug guns and had a custom 11/78 made with a pinned barrels,, a full sized rifle scope(4.5x14x40mm) and it shoots really tiny groups at a 100 yards for a slug gun
so, since the 870 is such a super popular gun, you might want to invest in a second barrel for it, if you pl;an to hunt with in on both deer/small game, , makes life a lot easier to swap barrels and then you always know what works in BOTH barrels!
then again, 870's ain't that costly , all the more so in used one's
might be worth just adding a second shotgun to things, one set up for both , maybe not this yr, but thoughts for down the road for you !

as for rain, YEAH it sucks shooting in it, but I have done so many times, I found a umbrella can help a lot in making it more fun, so can wearing good waterproof clothing, , also food for thought!

and
best of luck to you on your upcoming hunt!