HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2 3/4 inch vs 3 inch buck for deer
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2020, 11:10 AM
Whitetailturkey01
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb
not sure what shotgun your using, but many models have quick set up scope mounts that can be added to them, and removed just as easy, and can make a shotgun with a bead a LOT more accurate, a good LOW magnification scope is nice for closer shots and accuracy
I honestly am NOT fan of buckshot on deer period, or running deer shots, but do know it can be done, its just not for me,
slugs can knock down deer way better than buck shot IF you hit vitals IMO< or even LARGE bones
as you said, just pick your shots well, non one says you HAVE to shoot at every deer in range, so, being more picky is good for both you /deer and Dogs IMO
just remember a slug will travel farther thru things than buck shot will, so watch your backgrounds
I'm using a Remington 870 express 12 gauge. I do have a Weaver No-Gunsmith scope mount and a Axeon red dot sight. I had it on my 870 but took it off for a rabbit hunt (long story short I didn't go that's just life I guess). I cant put it back on because gun season is this Saturday and its supposed to rain for the rest of today and into tomorrow(I don't have a covered bench), so I cant sight it in. When I did sight it in I had a similar result with a slightly tighter group. Also found some #4 buck shells in the back of the closet. Patterned them a few days ago and at 20 yards 17 of the 27 pellets were in a 8" inch circle the remaining 10 were about 6 inches further from the center. That was with full choke. But I'll probably use the slugs and see if I can do some quick sighting during break in the rain if theres one.

Last edited by Whitetailturkey01; 11-12-2020 at 11:17 AM.