HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Closest you have ever had a big game animal to you while hunting.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:21 PM
Phil from Maine
Boone & Crockett

Before they had a moose season here a couple of us walked up and fed a couple of moose some old cabbage and they appeared to have loved it. I have walked up within 15 feet unknowingly of a sow with two cubs. She didn’t like me there and I didn’t like being that close either. She held her ground by snapping her jaws at me and getting up and down on her hind legs. I wasn’t very equipped with only a fishing rod in my hand as I was walking into a stream to trout fish. The only thing that I could think about is bears don’t like hounds and tried to bark like a hound and she moved back away from me about another 15 feet. So I backed to a big opening and let her and the cubs move on. It was a scary situation to be in. Lesson learned is to make noise when walking in there for trout fishing.. Last year hunting moose I had one get up roughly 10 feet from me but he was wounded and dropped his head for a charge and he was shot in the nose and he then run away from me. Yes I got him in the end..