HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which 300 win mag should I get?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2020, 07:16 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I’d recommend strongly against trying to build a long range rifle + optic for $1,000. The market is what it is - $300 for a used rifle, $400 for a Remage type barrel, rent gauges and buy wrenches, buy even cheap rings... you’re only leaving $200 for the optic. I HAVE shot long range with $200 optics, but when a guy has a choice such as this case, it’s wasted frustration. A rifle capable of this task can be had for $300-400 as is, and a scope $500-700 will be far better suited for the task than a $200 “grab what you can” option.

Asking yourself a simple question often yields the correct answer: when you level your rifle to take the bull of a lifetime, would you rather be shooting a sub-moa rifle with the clarity of a $200 optic or shooting a sub-moa rifle with the clarity of a $600 optic?

Personally, that answer is simple for me. I know any rack grade factory rifle from the last decade or more can deliver the accuracy I need, but I also know I will be significantly more satisfied with a better quality scope.

And note, for those playing the home game - you’ll see above that I mentioned first focal plane and graduated reticle, but did NOT mention exposed turrets as highlights on the Sig optic. A hunter may prefer to not dial, but will inevitably still NEED to correct for trajectory. A first focal plane optic with a graduated reticle allows precise correction at any zoom without wasted calculation.