HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which 300 win mag should I get?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2020, 07:04 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

as for optic's
this all; come's down to how far you want to shoot and HOW often you want to adjust for ranges, are you planning to get into long range shooting matches and be makinga LOT of adjustments based on how targets distances change
or you planning to just shot now and then?
two totally different things and IMO< determine what optic will LAST and work for you!
if you LIKE suggestions, I can offer some, but maybe again, have a look on some of the dedicated LONG range shooting forums and see what other use, and you will see the majority of them are using HIGHER costing name scopes
Nightforce, IMO being at the top of most lists, others, Schmidt Bender, US optic's, Tangent Theta
but al,l of these will have larger price tags but will be the top self of things!

from there you can run down the list of brands like
Leupold in the VX 6 , Zeiss, and others of like name and reputations
as in ALL optic's price sadly reflects quality, and its again the small details in them that make up the costs
as you get into lower costing scopes, the repeatability over TIME(and there adjustments they ALL WEAR OUT if you use often , better ones take LONGER) and again, adjustments tend to NOT be as precise! or consistent!
plenty good enough for folks that sight in and leave mostly, so NOT bashing or saying anyone one needs a SUPER high costing scope here!
but as you use adjustments often, they just DON"T hold up! this is FACT! and not just MY opinion here too!

so a lot again comes down to your planned goals of the set up use of the rifle!

and as for magnification ranges, this many times comes down to personal opinion and how well you see or don'!
as you get HIGHER in magnification you can get start to get into mirage issue's or??
and many folks don;t like using super high powers
the average I would say is some where in the 4-16-4x20 x range, BUT then there are some that like having more , as it can again come down to a personal choice
I have shot 1,000 yards from using OPEN sights, fixed 4 8 or 10 x glass, and used a bunch of different variable power scopes, and have shot using BOTH first plane and second reticles!

for me as I got older and eye sight not what it used to be, I tend to like more power at times, but NOT always, so, I like having adjustable options now more than ever!

Last edited by mrbb; 10-02-2020 at 07:10 AM.