HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - finding the correct arrow spine strength at a decent price
Old 09-07-2020, 03:48 PM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Hardcast I don't know the reason for you wanting to be using that heavy a bow and I'm not one to judge. In my younger years I shot bows with draw weight of 125 allbeit with some difficulty. But I could do it. One year, and one year only I hunted with a 80# draw weight. I had a big whitetail doe come up and stand broadside at 23 yards. I placed my pin behind her shoulder and released. I watched her spin and run 40 yards and pile up. The 125 gr Muzzy did its job. When I got down I went to retrieve my arrow and after it had passed completely through that doe the muzzy drove completely through a 2" oak sapling sticking out about 3" on the other side! Needless to say there was no retrieving that arrow without cutting down the tree.
Point I'm trying to make is that this day and age, unless you're hunting cape buffalo or elephant there simply isn't a need for this kind of weight. And speaking of buffalo, Using a 63# draw, 300 spine arrows @ 28" with 100 gr Magnus Stinger BHs I shot 2 mature bison. One at 35 yards and the other at 44 yards and had complete pass throughs on both.
So if I were to give you advice I would tell you to drop down your weight and save your back and shoulders. Any deer or black bear shot with a 60# bow (even less) will be just as dead in the same amount of time with the same shot placement.And I be you would even be a better shot?!
But if you need to I saw a dozen bare carbon shafts on Ebay for $114.

Last edited by bronko22000; 09-07-2020 at 03:51 PM.