HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Manchurian Pheasants
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2020, 04:00 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
You might want to consider that most of the land owned by the PGC is mountain land and pheasants do not do well in mountain land. They do own some land in farm areas but not much and certainly not enough to have any kind of wild peasant program. The failure of the wild pheasant introduction program has shown wild pheasants for the most part are done in PA. The change in farming practices couples with wholesale development of farm land has sounded the death knell for wild pheasants in PA.
yes but the point I was making was this
first off, the JOB of the PA game commission was to protect and see wildlife in the state strives, which they FAILED AT< when we lost the major percentage of pheasants, like it or not, that was a failure on the game CO part! 100%
like it or not, when your job is to protect something and they perish, the ball was dropped!
passing the buck blaming farmers, farming practices , chemicals and ALL that other crap! t! dioesn;t change the FACT the JOB to protect GAME was NOT done, the farmers out west used same said chemicals and practices , yet didn;t loose pheasants, and the BS about they had more habit is just that BS!
same as blaming hawks and predators!
out wets has slot of predators too! I
I spent a a LOT of time out west hunting things and in just being out there all times of the yrs for decades!

PA had a TON of farms in its prime!
yes we lost a LOT of them, but again had money been spent on buying habitat rather than wasting in on proven NON to LOW survival rates of pen raised birds??
maybe things could have been saved or returned or BETTER!

and , ALL that wasted MONEY spent on pen raised pheasants could have been USED to BUY land with habit or MADE habitat that pheasants could have strive'd again on!
a few million dollars buts a BUNCH of land, add that for decades of costs in pen raised pheasants, and well the PA game commission could have bought a LOT of farm land that NOW is housing developments, doing several things positive, in helping SAVE pheasants and protecting more land in the state from development and for WILDLIFE!
and before the answer comes back that what we know now as to back then, BS<
its already been stated MANY folks in the game commission already KNEW pen raised pheasant was NOT working would never work and was basically a waste of money in trying o get pheasants BACK in PA!
which again should have sent BIG red flags up about wasted spending, and then funds should have been spent in a different direction to TRY and solve the problem, and NOT just wasting money doing the same thing that wasn't EVER going to work !
OT I know you were a game warden and you stand behind your agency,and I mean NO disrespect to you!

but at some point in time, like it or not, , feelings and loyalty cannot defend what happened!
and teh FACT the game commission has been VERY slow to react to things , its a tract record, look at pheasants, look at what the deer out of control did to forest in PA, , now finally admitting a issue with grouse,and IMO< soon to screw up the bear population with all the extended seasons, which to me are just a way to MAKE INCOME, due to loss of hunters in the sate(numbers are a fraction of what they used to be
so there trying to make income back they lost, and at what cost
I'm all for EXTRA days for bears, bear numbers are high,. but to jump to such a HUGE amount added is asking for issue's
add in the number of fem,ales killed now that are carrying next yrs cubs already , the damage I fear will be TOO late again, before the GC reacts!
I'm fairly sure you will dis agree with me, but I been about a Long time, have countless friends that work for the GC as well, and know a lot more than the average hunter!

so don;'t think I say this stuff lightly or with just reasons!

to go from pretty much a top 5 pheasant state to pretty much ZERO
and a GAME dept with a responsibility to PROTECT GAME
who is to blame?? farmers, ??
NO< the agency that was designed to protect game , that's how it works in the real world

any agency that fails at there task, should be responsible and admit it! and take steps to FIX IT<M and if one step fails, try again till it gets fixed, NOT keep doing the same thing that even THEY know won;'t work!
that's wasted spending and well, not protecting that game species at all!
that's 100% failure at its highest point! in many ways!

Last edited by mrbb; 09-01-2020 at 04:06 PM.