HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - how many of you test your handgun handloads
Old 07-18-2020, 07:05 AM
hardcastonly
Super Moderator

thanks for posting the details, I'm sure he will appreciate it, I know I do appreciate it!
the main point I was trying to impress on him was that you don,t want to use of a single source for load data ,
and to test his loads for accuracy and penetration,
the days of using soaking wet phone books or sears catalogs stacked 2 feet thick,
as a bullet penetration test medium seems to be over as they no longer drop those off regularly
purchase of several load manuals is almost mandatory.
if you reload a good deal.
especially with a powder or bullet weight that's not all that commonly used is marginally risky.
I've used that bullet several times while hunting with a 357 mag revolver,
but Ive found 2400, h110, and blue dot all to be a better match in that velocities
are higher penetration better and if you pay attention to the load manuals and cross-check, several
very safe.
I have found that a 357 mag with those 170-grain hard cast bullets are a good choice,
but I'd be leary of green dot powder as a propellant,
found 12 grains of 2400 or 14 grains of h110 to work rather well.
Id expect a decent hunting load to penetrate through a bit more than a single 2x4 board.
especially since I know from experience that that bullet will easily do much better in a 357 mag revolver

Last edited by hardcastonly; 07-18-2020 at 09:35 AM.