HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which gun should I use for coyotes?
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 06:22 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I’ve not found deer-worthy handgun bullets, whether fired from 357mag, 32 H&R, 327 Fed, 357/44 mag, 41 mag, 44special, 44mag, 45 colt, or 454 Casull to be unacceptably damaging to coyote hides. Save the 454casull and the B&D mag, none even come close to having enough speed necessary to creating a big hydrostatic temporary cavity which blows out the back side, and most of the HUNTING (not personal defense) bullets on the market are hard enough to have relatively limited expansion when the game target is less than half as thick and under a quarter as massive as the intended species for which the bullet was designed. I tend to get worse exit wounds with a 77smk in 223rem than I do with the 300XTP in 44mag - even when stoking the 44 with Ruger only, over length, over charged loads.

The real problem for any cartridge to do a lot of pelt damage is bullet construction and placement. If you’re running your bullet into hard stuff, it’s pretty common to see bad exits. Trying to push a shoulder joint through the skin on the back side has that effect. Super frangible stuff with a lot of horsepower behind it - big temporary cavity loads - will push the largest portion of the wound tract at the back side surface, so stuff like a 150 NBT in 308win will get nasty.

But I haven’t ever been able to push hunting class revolver bullets hard enough to create that kind of result in a coyote, as long as I lay off the hard stuff.