HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How to get started moose hunting
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2020, 06:41 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

well I have done moose hunts in AK
I have done so with friends that are residents there, as well as I am also friends with some guides that guide there for mosse and other big game animals (they DON"T live in AK< but guide there4+ months out of the yr)

things to consider IMO
as stated, knowing the laws inside and out on what, where and how you can do things!
next is, knwoing what gear you will need to have, as just flying up, witha rifle and basic clothing for a hunt, leaves a LOT left out
are you planning to camp out in a drop camp
, do you plan to hunt from your vehicle each day?
atv's
truck, or like??
doing a float trip can be fun, and very dangerous , if doing alone, if planning this, I would be doinga LOT of homewrk on rivers considered, averge water depth and speed
gear needed
many outfitters will RENT things out, saving you from having to bring all you need, but this also required planning and investigating, making sure gear is quality and in GOOD condition
I would honestly NOT wish to tackle a moose hunt ALONE in AK, its a BIG animal, and a BIG place to be out all alone in

I have done several drop hunts there, from with 2 people(me being 1)
to with groups of up to about a dozen guys looking for meat,
so when considering a hunt in AK< I think you have to ask yourself a LOT of serious questions, and be honest about there answers
what physical condition are you in, what are your skill sets, in hunting, camping, navigation on the ground, what can you do, or NOT! and KNOW your limits

then comes Judging moose, can you really tell the difference between a 50 inch on and a 45 inch moose?
this is very important, and can mean the difference in a legal kill and a fine or worse!

then comes gear, do you have all the gear needed, do you know how to use it all!
can you get all gear you need THERE and back, if NOT renting!

to be honest, if your new to hunting AK< and MOOSE, I'd be spending some time trying to find someone that has experience in BOTH, that would allow you to ta along, or team up with you!
a LOT of the smaller air charter places might be a good place to look for a hunting buddy there, looking to split costs on air fare from town to the bush(if doing a drop camp)

your first time out will be a learning experience, and look at this way, and not just on trying to get a kill
being safe and learning things, will come down the road, , hunting is that, HUNTING< and it takes time to learn to be good at it, money cannot BUY experience in things!, only doing it and as time passes, you get experience!
hunting alone in AK< s never a good idea IMO< for NON residents of AK,
just too many things that are different and can get you in-trouble!
better t be safe than sorry!