HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How to get started moose hunting
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2020, 09:57 AM
flags
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by CalHunter
I haven't hunted in Alaska yet but hope to do so someday. As I understand it, you don't need a guide to hunt moose in Alaska. A couple buddies and I have talked about doing one of those hunts where they fly you upriver with rafts and you float down the river on a DIY hunt. It's a bit of work but supposed to be a fun hunt.
My late father did this once. He didn't get a moose but he did get a good caribou. They saw a moose but never put the stalk together on it. However my uncle and a friend of his did the same float the next year and they got a moose and a black bear. The issue with doing moose on your own is few people are used to handling a carcass that big. My uncle had been involved in a lot of elk hunting so that helped them but a bull moose is twice the size of a bull elk. They got it done but it was a lot of work. People used to simply skidding deer out of the woods could very well bite off more than they can chew on moose or even a big elk. Meat care is something that must be taken into consideration. Just something for the OP to think about. He doesn't say what their skill level and experience level is. Once the moose hits the ground that isn't the time to find out you can't take care of the meat.