HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - how many guys deliberately down load larger cartridges
Old 05-21-2020, 05:39 AM
hardcastonly
Super Moderator

the the fastest velocity ammo available, may not provide the best accuracy or penetration,
and it may also vary the impact point noticeably from a more accurate load.
or loads using different bullet weights and velocitys.
To hunt effectively you need ammo thats both consistent in its point of impact and provides decent accuracy.
one of my friends owns a 500 S&W revolver, hes got the 7.5" version,
and off a bench he can hold a 3"-4" 100 yard group with some ammo.
I reload for, him, and we tried about a dozen plus different combos.
if your dependent on commercial ammo you have zero control on availability, price or consistency.
one of his goals was to stock up on ammo once he has found a consistently accurate and effective load.
we tried quite a few factory loaded cartridges from available sources.
our goal was max accuracy and deep penetration.
most commercial loads use lighter weight jacketed bullets and they expand too fast for max penetration, in my opinion.
and swapping bullet weight and brands has a huge effect on the point of bullet impact, at ranges over 50 yards, in that revolver,
we found that pushing the hard cast gas check LEE 440 grain bullet
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...-point-501-dia
too much faster than a 20 grain charge of blue dot powder will achive
both reduces long range accuracy and does nothing useful for penetration in stacks of wet magazines.
that load in his revolver produces about 1340 fps.
thats certainly not a max load but its darn effective.
that loads devastating on hogs and we have never recovered a bullet so far as they all exit the far side so far.

btw if you need 50 cal gas checks , the link below may help, I found other vendors were out of stock
https://www.sagesoutdoors.com/500-s-...or-gas-checks/

Last edited by hardcastonly; 05-21-2020 at 05:56 AM.