HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer Hunting With Dog
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2020, 11:26 AM
flags
Giant Nontypical

Not sure if the OP is talking about hunting with dogs or training a dog to blood trail a wounded deer. Two completely different things. I believe the GSP may be a reference to German Shorthair Pointer rather than Global Positioning System. Not sure where you would go to train a dog to blood trail but I know people do train dogs to do it. Hunting deer with dogs doesn't require any training normally they just toss a new dog into a pack and let them self train.

Now for the subject of hunting deer with dogs. I spent a lot of time in the south when I was active duty and in a lot of those places they did dog hunting. I for one DO NOT like it. I understand the cultural aspect of it, but I want no part of it. My experience, admittedly very limited, was that dog hunters simply do not care about any other hunter or property owners. Many of them believe that if their dogs get on a deer then they have the right to go wherever they want to chase the deer and if they ruin your hunt, so be it.

Here is an example: I used to hunt a public hunting wildlife management area in VA that was right on the VA/NC line. In this WMA it was illegal to hunt with dogs or to shoot a deer or bear that was being run with dogs. This was a quota hunt area so if you drew a permit you had a week to hunt. Lots of deer in the area so it was a good place to hunt especially since it was less than an hour from the base. One year when I was hunting it I had set up a ghost blind on an old logging type road that had a big corner that went almost to the state line. I set up on the corner so I had a clear shooting lane of about 200 yards in 2 directions. I had hunted it before and had taken deer there. However on this day I watched a bunch of guys in NC drive up the road that was the border between the 2 states (this was about 150 yards from me across a little clearing) and get out to turn their dogs loose. The actually brought the dogs across the road into VA and the WMA and turned them loose there to run deer from VA into NC. This immediately ended my hunt because it was illegal to shoot a deer under those conditions whether the dogs were mine or not. These yahoos simply did not care that they ruined my hunt. How do I know that? Because I walked over to "chat" with them and they simply laughed and said "dogs run where dogs run." Of course there was no game warden around to handle it.

Not a fan of hunting deer with dogs. Too much wounding because deer are shot on the dead run. Too many other hunters impacted and to much lack of caring on the part of the dog hunters.