HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Remington Cor-Loct vs. Hornady SST
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2020, 11:53 PM
JMoody85
Spike

Originally Posted by markminer
The great ammo debate continues...Just got my first rifle and after asking around the Remington Cor-Loct and Hornady SST seem to be the favorites. Looking to load Savage 111 bolt action 30.06 for deer and pigs. My choice of grain will most likely be 150-165.
Mark
It honestly depends on what you're target distance is. Hornady's biggest selling point is superior accuracy. But if you're never taking shots greater than 100 yards that superior accuracy is a difference of three-quarters of an inch which really isn't that big of a deal on an animal the size of a deer. If you're looking at 100-300 yards the SSTs will outperform the Core-lokts every time considering that Hornady uses a more accurate projectile mixed with more consistent and higher quality powder loads. Furthermore, on those longer range shots the lead spire point on the Core-lokts will deform and degrade the performance at a much faster rate than the polymer tips of the SSTs. The final notable difference is that the SSTs are more expensive. So if the pricing is a big point for you, the Core-lokt would be the better choice of the 2, although at that point I would ask that you look at Hornady's spire point line of bullets. All this information aside, the biggest key is that when you decide on the ammo that you want to use, make sure to use the same ammo to sight your rifle in as you will be using when you go hunting. If you decide that you want to change ammo in the future, you will also need to resight in your rifle for the new ammo to truly get the best performance out of it.