HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Texas losing fight on feral hogs
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2020, 07:00 AM
flags
Giant Nontypical

I have a hard time believing this. I live in TX and I know there are a lot of hogs here. However it is nearly impossible to find someone that will just let you on their property to hunt hogs. The same farmers/ranchers that cry the loudest about hogs will demand you pay them around $150 a day to help them with their problem. So in my mind they can't be hurting as bad as they claim they are. Here is a point in fact:

I lived in the Athens TX area for several years. There was a big rancher/landowner not too far from me that was always screaming about the hogs and demanding the state do something to compensate him for the damage they did. I was driving by one of his pastures and saw a big group of hogs rooting for acorns under a big oak tree in the middle of the pasture. This was less than 3 miles from where I lived. I pulled into the ranch house and told him what I saw and also told him I could run home and grab a rifle and get at least 2 or 3 out of that group since they wold have to cover at least 200 yards to get to cover after the first shot. His reply was "NO because he had paying clients coming later that week." So tell me, just how bad was his hog problem if he wouldn't take some out when offered the chance especially when it was a local he knew that offered to help? Note, I wasn't a stranger, I knew the guy.