HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Any One Catching Crappies ?
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2020, 11:52 AM
Champlain Islander
Dominant Buck

I have been getting them through the ice while fishing for gills and sunnies. I use small rockers and #10 demons tipped with a couple maggots. Ice season just ended for me yesterday so I'll be fishing out of the boat as soon as all the ice is gone. I hammered them last fall out of the boat and used chartreuse jigs in 1/32 and 1/8 oz depending on depth and fished with Bobby Garland baby shad in most of the colors they have. The albino shad, pearl and electric chicken always worked for me but I found properly presented they all work well. I cast let sink then retrieve and vertical jig depending on where they are along structure. We have a 25 fish limit on fish that are more than 8 inches long. My limits last fall normally ran 18 to 20 pounds and occasionally were 22 plus. All my crappie here on northern Lake Champlain are black crappie and if I fish on the south end of the lake where the water is warmer and stained white crappie are quite prevalent. Crappie are my favorite fish and Gods way of making a warm water fish as pretty as a trout. Nice catch flags. Our fish up here can run up to 16 inches plus but I normally don't get them much over 14" where I fish.
JRBSR you really don't need minnows although they do work well. I use nothing but rubber fished either under a bobber or on a jig depending on time of year and they always bite well.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 03-17-2020 at 11:59 AM.