HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - opinions on bird recovery in Montana
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2020, 02:11 PM
revrusty
Spike

I take the PDJ and find it somewhat useful as far as bird forecasts go, but it usually is overly optimistic about bird numbers, in my experience. Couple years ago they were touting the wonderful bird numbers in Montana which is of course the year of the great crash in bird numbers. Locals are saying the quail are down 40 percent in Kansas this year, far below what the Journal had to say. Guess I am saying that if they say birds are low, probably right, but I have learned to look for other sources of info . Got the Montana small game biologist to call me this past year and he gave me very accurate info for the area I hunt. If I can give a hint to help others about researching an area, get a game biologist on the phone and during the conversation, invite that person to come hunt with you for a day. If they can get a day off, they will usually suggest a public area that will hold some birds. Anyway, we bird hunters are getting fewer in number and I hope all of you have success surviving the off season and getting out there next year. And invite a young person to go along when you can. Tell a game department person you are looking to take a kid hunting and they will usually be all sorts of helpful .