HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Predator hunting cartridges?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 05:55 AM
Fyrstyk54
Fork Horn

Most of my coyote hunting is within 100 yards. The cover is too thick to see much further, and most of my shots are in the 40 yards or less range. I use a .222 with 55 gr SX Hornaday bullets most of the time, but our New England coyotes are quite large and I have found they need a heavier bullet to put them right down so you don't have to trail them in the heavy brush. I have recently switched to a 256 Win Mag with 75 gr HP bullets. Coyotes out to 100 yards drop in their tracks (with good hits) and I have not had a pss thru yet even when shoot at 30 yards or so. On state land , here in CT, I am not allowed to shoot a rifle larger than a 22 mag. I have taken a few with the mag, but at close range only. I have found that my .36 caliber muzzleloader drops coyotes really well out to fifty yards, so I have been using it on state land instead of the 22 mag. I have yet to get a pass thru with the .22 mag, but the .36 muzzleloader has given complete pass thru on both coyotes I have shot with it. the exit hole is about the diameter of a pencil.