HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dream hunt-would you shoot?
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 10:14 AM
Cub Slayer
Fork Horn

The way I see it, what is the point of going on a six-day hunt if you absolutely refuse to shoot for the first three days? Why not just go on a three day hunt?

Oh sure, you could spend the first days scouting-only, but it seems foolish to me to pass on an obvious bruiser just because it was early.

Last fall (Aug 2019), I shot the biggest bear of my life on Maine's opening day. It was about 7pm, getting down to the wire. I had already started planning the next day in my mind, things like "Move the chair farther from the tree" and "Get more Thermocell packs" when the bear showed up.

When he arrived, I estimated him at 150 lbs, but even that is above my "Shoot it" criteria, so I did. I will admit a slight sense of sadness at ending it so soon, but at the same time, I knew I wouldn't be eating tag soup, and I got to help other hunters recover their bears.

The year before, I shot a bear at the same camp on the last day. I can't say it was any more satisfying than shooting it on the first.

As someone who spends more money than he should on hunting trips, I can say I've never felt cheated by an early harvest.